Trong tiếng Anh, quá khứ hoàn thành là một thì được sử dụng khá phổ biến khi giao tiếp. Muốn học tiếng Anh giỏi, các bạn phải nắm chắc cách sử dụng của loại thì này. Tham khảo bài viết dưới đây, chúng tôi sẽ hỗ trợ các bạn tổng hợp một số bài tập thì quá khứ hoàn thành có đáp án nhé!
Tóm tắt kiến thức về thì quá khứ hoàn thành
Định nghĩa về thì quá khứ hoàn thành
Thì quá khứ hoàn thành được sử dụng để diễn tả một hành động được xảy ra trước một hành động khác cũng nằm trong quá khứ. Hành động nào xảy ra trước thì sử dụng quá khứ hoàn thành. Hành động nào xảy ra sau thì sử dụng thì quá khứ đơn.
Công thức sử dụng thì quá khứ hoàn thành
|Câu khẳng định||Câu phủ định||Câu nghi vấn|
|Cấu trúc: S + had + VpII
(Cô ấy đã đi ra ngoài khi chúng tôi vào nhà.)
(Họ đã hoàn thành bài tập của họ ngay trước hạn nộp vào tuần trước.
|Cấu trúc: S + hadn’t + VpII
Lưu ý: hadn’t = had not
(Anh ấy vẫn chưa về nhà khi tôi về.)
(Họ vẫn chưa ăn xong bữa tối khi tôi trông thấy họ).
|Cấu trúc: Had + S + VpII ?
Câu trả lời: Yes, S + had.
No, S + hadn’t.
Had the film ended when she arrived at the cinema?
(Bộ phim đã kết thúc khi cô ấy tới rạp chiếu phim phải không?)
Yes, it had./ No, it hadn’t
Cách sử dụng thì quá khứ hoàn thành
Thì quá khứ hoàn thành được sử dụng trong các trường hợp sau đây:
Dùng để diễn tả một hành động đã xảy ra trước một hành động khác đã xảy ra trong quá khứ
Trong câu ta thấy thì quá khứ hoàn thành sẽ được dùng kết hợp với thì quá khứ đơn. Hành động nào xảy ra trước sẽ dùng quá khứ hoàn thành, hành động nào xảy ra sau sẽ dùng quá khứ đơn. Nó còn được dùng với các liên từ như: by, before, after, until, till, when, as soon asm no sooner…than.
Ví dụ: My mom had cooked breakfast when I got up. (Mẹ tôi đã nấu xong bữa ăn sáng trước khi tôi thức giấc)
Dùng để diễn tả một hàng động đã xảy ra và nó kéo dài tới một thời điểm nhất định trong quá khứ.
Ví dụ: He hadn’t eaten until his parents went home. (Anh ấy chưa ăn xong cho đến khi bố mẹ anh ý về)
Dùng để diễn tả một hành động, sự việc đã xảy ra trước một thời điểm nhất định trong quá khứ.
Ví dụ: She had never played piano until lasta week. (Cô ấy chưa bao giờ chơi Piano cho tới tuần trước.)
Diễn tả sự thất vọng của cá nhân về một sự việc nào đó trong quá khứ. Nó thường được dùng với cấu trúc điều ước trong quá khứ.
Ví dụ: I wished I had told the truth with my lover. (Tôi ước là tôi đã nói ra sự thật với người yêu mình.)
Các dấu hiệu nhận biết thì quá khứ hoàn thành
Để nhận biết thì quá khứ hoàn thành, các bạn sẽ dựa vào các trạng từ chỉ thời gian. Dưới đây là một số trạng từ thường xuất hiện trong thì quá khứ hoàn thành:
- Until then: cho đến khi, đến lúc nào đó
- By the time: vào lúc, trước lúc nào đó
- Prior to that time
- Before: trước khi
- After: sau khi
- When by: khi nào, vào lúc
- By the end of: vào cuối lúc nào
- By the end of + time in the past …: vào cuối + 1 thời điểm trong quá khứ
Bài tập quá khứ hoàn thành có đáp án:
Bài 1: Chia động từ trong ngoặc ở thì quá khứ hoàn thành
- The storm destroyed the sandcastle that we ______ (build).
- He ______ (not / be) to Cape Town before 1997.
- When she went out to play, she ______ (do / already) her homework.
- My brother ate all of the cake that our mum _____ (make) .
- The doctor took off the plaster that he ______ (put on) six weeks before.
- The waiter brought a drink that I _______ (not / order).
- I could not remember the poem we _______ (learn) the week before.
- The children collected the chestnuts that _____ (fall) from the tree.
- ________ (he / phone) Angie before he went to see her in London?
- She ______ (not / ride) a horse before that day.
- Kevin ______ (go) home by the time I arrived.
- Ethan suddenly realised that he _____ (leave) his laptop on the train.
- Mum was annoyed because I ______ (not clean) my room.
- _______ (they / study) English before they went to the USA?
- We were hungry because we ______ (not eat).
|1. had built||2. had not been||3. had already done||4. had made||5. had put on|
|6. had not ordered||7. had learned||8. had fallen||9. had be phoned||10. had not ridden|
|11. had gone||12. had left||13. had not cleaned||14. Had they studied||15. had not eaten|
Bài tập 2: Hoàn thành đoạn văn sau bằng cách chia động từ ở chỗ trống ở thì quá khứ đơn
Until a few years ago, no one 1.. ………….. (hear) of Harry Potter, the young wizard and hero of the children’s book Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. The writer, J K Rowling, 2. ………….. (already / write) several stories and books, but this was the first book that was published. She 3. …………… (get) the idea for the story of a wizard at magic school while she 4. ………. (travel) on a train to London. By the time the train 5. ……………………………… (reach) King’s Cross station, she 6. ……………………………… (invent) most of the characters. When the book was published in 1997, no one 7. ……………………………… (imagine) it would be such a tremendous success, but it quickly 8…..(become) a bestseller. While millions of young readers in many countries 9. ……… (enjoy) her first Harry Potter book, J K Rowling 10. ……………………………… (think) of ideas for the next book in this incredibly popular series.
- had heard
- had already written
- was travelling
- had invented
- were enjoying
- was thinking
Bài tập 3: Viết lại câu dưới đây bằng cách sử dụng các từ gợi ý
- (you/go) there before we went together?
- (she/see) the film already?
- Why (he/forget) about the meeting?
- (it/be) cold all week?
- (I/read) the book before the class?
- When she arrived (we/eat) already?
- Where (you/be) when I saw you?
- (they/travel) by bullet train before?
- (John/meet) Lucy before they worked together?
- (you/do) your homework before I saw you?
- Where (she/work)?
- (I/pay) the bill before we left?
- (we/visit) my parents already that winter?
- When you called, (they/eat) dinner?
- How (he/manage) to fix the cooker?
- (my sister/be) sick for a long time?
- How much (she/study) before the exam?
- What (you/cook) for dinner that night?
- When (they/arrive)?
- How many coffees (she/drink) before the interview?
|1. Had you gone
2. Had she seen
3. had he forgotten
4. Had it been
5. Had I read
6. had we eaten
7. had you been
|8. Had they traveled
9. Had John met
10. Had you done
11. had she worked
12. Had I paid
13. Had we visited
14. had they eaten
|15. had he managed
16. Had my sister been
17. had she studied
18. had you cooked
19. had they arrived
20. had she drunk
Bài tập 4: Sắp xếp các câu sau và chia động từ (nếu có)
- The/ they/ get/ had/ off/ before/ of/ the/ turn/ light/ office/ out.
- By/ begin/ time/ I/ my/ she/,/ had/ leave/ the/ quickly/ work.
- After/ finish/ my/,/ we/ back/ father/ his/ home/ work/ come.
- Before/ go/ had/ an/ novel/ my/ to/ brother/ read/ interesting/ he/ bed.
- When/ her/ in/,/ he/ had/ join/ Linh/ best friend/ Bangkok/ the/ Ever/ meet.
- Cuong/ this/ before/ last night/ had/ text/ he/ went/ translate/ out.
- Hung/ your/ before/ meet/ had/ email/ he/ use/ you?
- When/ I/ arrive/ had/ hadn’t/ my/ lunch/ parents.
- They/ before/ had/ to/ the meeting/ speak/ her.
- I/ that/ hadn’t/ see/ before/ was/ the man/ sure/ I.
- The light had turned off before they got out of the office.
- By the time I began my work, she had left quickly.
- After my father finished his work, we came back home.
- Before my brother went to bed, he had read an interesting novel.
- When Linh met her best friend in Bangkok, he had joined the Ever.
- Cuong had translated this text before he went out last night.
- Had Hung used your email before he met you?
- When my parents arrived, I hadn’t had lunch.
- They had spoken to her before the meeting.
- I was sure that I hadn’t seen the man before.
Bài tập 5: Chọn dạng đúng của động từ trong ngoặc
- We ________ finished eating dinner.
- had not B. not had C. ‘d had not
- Had they _____ to her before?
- spoke B. spoken C. spoked
- You _____ not left yet.
- would B. ‘d C. would had
- I had never _____ her before.
- see B. saw C. seen
- We arrived at 8:05, but the train _____ already left.
- has B. have C. had
- Sarah thought she ________ to that zoo before.
- has been B. had be C. had been
- Nobody explained why the project had ________ on time.
- n’t been completed B. not completed C. n’t complete
- He _____ us the item had been shipped.
- told B. say C. asked
- Dad explained ________ his job due to stress.
- why he quitted B. that he had quit C. that he’d quite
- Where _____ the security guard gone?
- had B. have C. did
- I couldn’t see the teacher because he ____________ before I arrived the school.
- had left B. has left C. left D. was leaving
- He was very tired because he ____________ the bags upstairs.
- have carried B. had carried C. carried D. has carried
- I was starving when I arrived home. I ____________ anything for two days.
- didn’t eat B. wasn’t eaten C. hadn’t eaten D. haven’t eaten
- He asked me to give his book back but I ____________ it.
- have lost B. had lost C. was lost D. lost
- The boy knocked the door. There was nobody inside. His mother ____________ yet.
- hasn’t returned B. haven’t returned
- hadn’t returned D. didn’t return
- The sun was shining and the birds were singing when she got out. What a lovely day, she said to herself. She looked at her car but it was not there. Somebody ____________ it.
- has stolen B. have stolen C. had stolen D. stole
- She answered all of the questions in the exam because she ____________ very well.
- was studied B. had studied
- has been studied D. have studied
- It was sunny but very cold. The snow ____________ yet.
- hadn’t completely melted B. hasn’t completely melted
- haven’t completely melted D. wasn’t completely melted
- Clara looked out the window. The pavement was wet. It ____________ at night.
- has rained B. have been rained
- have rained D. had rained
- He couldn’t believe his eyes! His father _____________ him a new laptop as a birthday gift.
- bought B. has bought C. had bought D. was bought
- I was very late. When I arrived, the conference _____.
- was already starting B. started C. had already started
- When he heard the police knocking on the door, he ____ under the bed.
- hid B. had hiden C. was hiding
- The police arrested him because he _____ a gun.
- carried B. was carrying C. had carried
- When they arrived at the police station, he said that he _____ anything wrong.
- didn’t do B. wasn’t doing C. hadn’t done
- When he said that he loved me, I knew that he _____.
- lied B. was lying C. had lied
- I looked at him and I knew he _____ in a fight, because he had a black eye.
- was B. was being C. had been
- He pulled out a gun and everybody _____ away.
- ran B. was running C. had run
- When I was a child, we _____ anywhere at weekends; it was boring.
- never went B. were never going C. had never gone
- When he retired he _____ in the company for more than 50 years.
- was B. was being C. had been
- I _____ to the road and we crashed.
- didn’t pay attention B. wasn’t paying attention C. hadn’t paid attention
Trên đây, chúng tôi đã giới thiệu cho các bạn một số bài tập về thì quá khứ hoàn thành có đáp án cho các bạn tham khảo. Hy vọng sẽ giúp các bạn có thể sử dụng thành thạo loại thì này trong quá trình học và làm bài tập tiếng Anh sau này.